Contributions FAQ's

Here you can find answers to common questions related to contributions payable to the Social Security Board.

  1. Who must pay contributions? [+]
    Every employed person who is sixteen years of age or over and under the pensionable age and is working on a temporary, part-time or full-time basis is required to pay contributions. If you are a student and satisfy the above criteria, then you should pay contributions as well.
  2. What are the rates for contributions? [+]

    In accordance with S.I. No. 60 of 2016, the contribution rate has increased by ½% for 2018; and is to be shared equally between employer and employee.

    The new contribution rate for 2018 is as follows:

    • Private Sector employees pay 5¼%; Private Sector employers pay 7¼%.
    • Public Sector employees pay 4¼%; Public Sector employers pay 7¼%.
    • Self-employed contribution rate remains at 10%.
  3. Who is responsible for paying the contributions to the Social Security Office? [+]
    The law makes the employer responsible for paying the total contributions to the Social Security Office within 14 days after the end of each month.  Further, the Social Security Act & Regulations gives the employer the authority to deduct the employee’s share of the contributions before the earnings are paid to the employee.
  4. What do you mean by Employee's earnings? [+]
    For the purpose of Social Security, ‘employee’s earnings’ includes basic salary or wage plus overtime, cost of living bonus or allowance, family allowance, long service or incentive pay, commission or profit on sales, gratuities paid by employer, payments for night or shift work, production bonus, danger or dirt money or similar payments, service charge, any employee’s liabilities (including tax) paid for him by the employer, holiday pay and vacation pay.
  5. What should I know about contributions? [+]
    Your contribution account will be credited with one contribution for each week or part of a week that you work.  This means that if you work a full year, the record will show 52 contributions at a particular time to be entitled to the benefit.  Therefore, you should make sure that your employer deducts your contributions.
  6. What happens if an employee has more than one employer? [+]
    If an employee has more than one employment, each employment is treated separately.  Therefore, each employer should deduct the contribution from the employee’s earnings.  However, if the total contribution paid is over the maximum, the employee can apply to the Social Security Board at the end of the year for a refund of contributions.
  7. What are some of the agreements that Social Security has with other countries? [+]
    The Antigua and Barbuda Social Security Board has entered into reciprocal agreements with certain countries.  Under these agreements person who work in either or both countries can apply for benefit in the country of residence using both sets of contributions to qualify for the payment of benefits.  Check with the Social Security Office to find out which countries are included.

Similar items that might also be of interest:

  • Registration FAQ's
    Here you can find a wealth of answers to questions related to the registration process.